“History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new. Sometimes people say,”Here is something new!” But actually it is old; nothing is ever truly new. Ecclesiastes 1:9-10
To determine where we need to go and how to get there as a nation we must first get a fix on our position. The United States is now entering its own version of the Dark Ages. Other once-great nations walked the same path we are traversing today, only to discover it led to their demise. Self-deception is nothing new. History reveals that it is what the people in every declining society do before they crash.
We must understand that our lifestyles and our standards of living are on the down-slide:
* Seventy-four percent are dissatisfied with the way things are going in America. [Gallup poll conducted June 5-8, 2014, as quoted in PollingReport.com, “Direction of the Country”, http://pollingreport.com/right.htm]
* Seventy-five percent are trying to find ways to lead a more meaningful life. [Barna Group,”Frames Wave 2″, national survey among 1,404 adults eighteen or older, June 2013; Barna Group ,”Three Trends on Faith, Work, and Calling”, February 11, 2014, https://www.barna.org/barna-update/culture/649-three-major-faith-and-culture-trends-for-2014#.U9vOfIBdWie]
* Sixty-three percent believe America is in a state of decline. [NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll conducted October 25-28, 2013, as quoted by PollingReport.com, “Direction of the Country”.
* Sixty-three percent argue that things in the nation are generally headed in the wrong direction. [NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll conducted June 11-15, 2014, as quoted by PollingReport.com,”Direction of the Country”.]
* Fifty-four percent no longer believe the United States is a country where anyone can get ahead and have a better standard of living. [NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll conducted April 23-27, 2014, as quoted by PolingReport.com, “Life”, http://polingreport.com/life.htm]
Next week, survey comments on the moral and spiritual conditions of America.
– Bob Munsey